Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blue and Gold Banquet Tomorrow

Our Cub Scout Pack's annual Blue and Gold Banquet is tomorrow. They have a cake bake contest every year. (It's my favorite part!) Two years, we won Best Cub Scout theme. When he was a Tiger, we made a cake and I wrote the Cub Scout promise on it and we melted candy into molds with the Scout symbols on for around the sides. That was the part that Dippy could help with. Then when he was a Wolf, we made a Pinewood Derby track. The kids made little cars out of chocolate bars with the mini M&Ms for the wheels for the cars that sat on the track.

Last year, Dippy decided to make a cake that went with the theme of the Blue and Gold instead. Last year's theme was Chinese New Year. So we attempted a Chinese dragon. He did an awesome job making scales out of rolled fondant. I really didn't do much to help him last year. I did make an extra trip, or three, to Michael's for supplies, but that was about it. He won Judge's Favorite for his work, too! I tried to find a picture of it to post here, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking and might have it a little later.

This year, I talked him into doing his original idea from last year. This is our last year to do this. Tomorrow he bridges up to Boy Scouts. I thought his idea last year, that he discarded, was great. He was going to make the uniform shirt.

He wouldn't even let me help! All I did was put the pan in the oven and take it out of the oven. He mixed the cake (Well, it's really brownies cause that's what he wanted.), he made the frosting, and he made ALL of the decorations! I was allowed to help a little with ideas for what would work for buttons and patches, but I didn't do anything. It came out pretty good, too, I think.


He put a belt at the bottom with a belt buckle and belt loops.
And, VOILA! Finished product...with an almost smile.





And a view with his old shirt beside it

Now, would you like to hear some funny rules of the past? First, the main rule in this Pack is that everything on the cake, (or dessert, we're not limited to just cakes) must be edible. (Or as Dingy calls it, Eatable.) But I fould some rules from sometime around 1993 or 1994 in the Pack's records. It used to be a Father-Son contest. Now it is a Parent-Son contest. There were four rules listed out. Basically they said it had to be the boy's work, no Mom's were allowed to help unless they were single Moms, and everything had to be edible. It's rule #4 that I love. It makes you wonder what kind of families they had in the Pack at the time.
"(4.) You may not accost the judges after the results are announced. They are only volunteers and will be left alone."
REALLY? This HAD to be in writing?? Either this was a rough group or they took their cake decorating skills WAY too seriously!

5 comments:

ddg's grandma said...

The cake looks really good! I would have loved to be in the pack where the people attacked the judges.

Mom of Dippy, Dingy & Goofy said...

It really didn't take that long to do, and he did EVERYTHING. I think he at least had fun making it.

I can see you as one of the people attacking!

He is trying to win Cub Scout Theme this year. I told him that Riley is making a Pinewood Derby car and JP is doing something with the rocket launch. He was like--Cool. They had awesomne ideas. I think he is actually excited to see their cakes, too!

ddg's grandma said...

He is just so talented! Hope he wins.

Mom of Dippy, Dingy & Goofy said...

Well, he DIDN'T! they didn't do Cub Scout theme this year! But he really didn't care cause he still got to eat ALL of the entries! Plus, the award was a certifiacte (which would have been cool) a free drink from Starbucks (We don't go to Starbuck's) and something else. I forget what it was but it was either money off of something or something that we would have had to put more money into to use. So we just enjoyed eating it ALL!! lots of yummys. I have pictures to put up after I get the car unloaded.

ddg's grandma said...

We'll be waiting.