Sunday, May 17, 2009

Relay Update

I tried moblile posting a picture yesterday before opening ceremonies. I had tested the mobile thing on Friday and it worked. However, when I used it from the field, I kept getting an invalid destination error. I don't have the pictures on the computer yet. But here is a brief update for anyone who cares. We were cancelled. :(
We were sent inside the building the first time around 5:30 due to lightning. The Survivor activities were due to begin around 6. We were let outside again and the Survivors were able to do their thing around 7. It was about 8:30 or so when Wanda and I were walking and we noticed a lightning flash. We went straight back to our campsite and began putting everything inside tents and taking down the canopies. This time when they told us to leave, we had kids in wagons and strollers and we were ready. I left Goofy and Dingy and went home to let Sara out. I hadn't even gotten out of my parking spot before the rain began. Luckily, the kids had JUST stepped foot inside when that happened.
When I got back, they were sitting inside the cafeteria with the kids. They had continued on in the auditorium with the luminary activity. Hundreds of luminaries had already been placed around the track. But they had something left to light and there was a slide show. This year they had asked for people to send in pictures of those you were buying luminaries for.
We were expecting to continue walking inside the school until the storm passed. A committee lady stopped and talked to us and she said it has to go 20 minutes with no lightning, and it was only going about 10 minutes. Then another lady came over and said they were calling it. We had about 10 minutes to grab our stuff and leave. On the way out, I talked to Dippy's kindergarten teacher. I mentioned to her that I thought we would just be walking inside. Apparently, the school doesn't allow that.
So we are waiting for the rain to stop. Yes, it rained ALL night. Then we have to go over and get our tents taken down. That's going to be a soggy mess! Luckily, we did have a nice day to walk. It was hot and sunny for the daytime with a nice breeze blowing. I guess this was easing our way into relay. I did 12 hours this year, and then next year I will stay for the entire 24! And, yes, we will have a team next year. Want to join us?

No comments: