Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquakes and Hurricanes!!!!

We're getting all kinds of 'weather events' around here. Yesterday we had a 5.9 (Or 5.8) earthquake. It tied for the largest in Virginia's history. The other 5.9 (or 5.8) was in May of 1867. Here's a map of where yesterday's was located.

That one hit right about 2:00 in the afternoon. The kids and I were driving. Rod had told me that my car has been running funny for him. (I have yet to notice anything) So when I was driving yesterday, I felt a pull. It felt like when I'm driving the big van behind a big truck on the highway, and I catch the wind or whatever off of him. So I slowed down a little and it went away. Then we were in the store and received a text asking if we had just had an earthquake. Dingy and I looked at each other and were like, What's she been smoking? :) Then, when we left the store, Rod called, but when I answered no one was there. I called him back, but the phone wouldn't work. I asked Dingy if I could borrow hers, and the same thing! Then one of the kids hopped onto Facebook and ALLLLLL the status updates were about the huge earthquake. We could get on the internet and text, but we couldn't make or receive calls for about an hour. Rod had the most fun with the earthquake. He was in the office and he said the bookcase started moving. He went outside and our fence was shaking back and forth. His boat was also rocking side to side.

Around 8:00 last night, Dingy, Rod and I were in the office. I felt the floor shaking, but it was light. Our office isn't on the ground, so if you jump in here, you can shake the computer screens. Last night felt like Rod was shaking his foot. But Dingy asked if we could feel that. I looked at Rod and he was sitting still! The next thing to pop up on Facebook was from the news saying a 4 point something aftershock had just been confirmed! I checked the news this morning and a 3 point something had hit around 12:45am. We slept through that one. :( Now we're just waiting to see if anymore aftershocks come through today. Luckily I haven't heard of any injuries from yesterday. There are some new cracks in the Washington Monument, though, but at least it's still standing!

THEN......Hurricane Irene!!! Here's the latest map from this morning on weather.com.


We're headed to South Carolina later today. On the good side, I'm pretty sure we're going to miss this. I've been watching since Monday morning, and the map has changed. Monday, it said she would be there between Friday night and Saturday morning. Now it looks like Saturday to Sunday. We leave there early Saturday morning. I don't know if we'll be able to swim in the ocean or not. I don't know how far ahead of the 'big storm' the waves and wind travel. But our hotel has a pool and a lazy river, so I'm sure we'll still have plenty of fun. And if the storm hits us early, maybe we'll see a dolphin fly past our window!! :)



No comments: